Friday 26 August 2011

Things in the Maine


We are just back from a trip to the States where I was showing my new blanket collection at the New York Gift Fair. I was thrilled with how well the new work was recieved - lots of orders and lots of press interest. There seems to be a real appetite for and understanding of textiles in the US.


We took a little trip up to Maine after the show to see friends there. We stayed  with Mary at her lovely wooden shingled summer place. She has some beautiful old Maine hooked rugs which really caught my eye. They remind me of tole-work - the painted patterns you get on old narrow boats. A lovely folk feel.


I particularly like the way that this rug has streakes in the ground colour. I wonder whether the rags have faded differently over time, or whether it was hooked like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment