Thursday 29 September 2011

Diagonal Twills

Deptford, where my studio based, is an amazingly vibrant part of London, with new architectural landmarks jostling for space among the mission churches and charity shops. When I moved to the studio here about eight years ago, the Laban Dance Centre had just opened. Looking out onto the Creek, the steeply banked lawns are a favourite summer lunch spot where you can watch the dance students going through their paces while eating your sandwiches.

For the last few months on my cycle to the studio I have been watching another landmark building going up. It is a huge monolith, entirely clad in perforated brass sheeting. I'm not sure how I feel about it - it needs to bed in for a while, but there is something very appealing about the diagonals which step across the surface - like a giant twill weave. I took this photo on my phone a couple of months ago as they were adding the final panels.

No comments:

Post a Comment