Friday 16 September 2011

The Much Bigger Picture

A couple of beautiful public art murals...

Long long before I trained in weave, I did a History degree at the University of Birmingham. Last week I popped into my old faculty, where this beautiful Peter Lanyon mural is installed in the foyer. Lanyon was one of the second generation of the St Ives painters, and was a also a passionate glider pilot. Many of his landscapes incorporate abstracted arial views of the Cornish coast - I love the sense of place.


This is a new commission by Tod Hanson in the new overground station at Haggerston. It references the 17th century astronomer Edmond Halley who was a local resident, and explores his concept that the Earth was hollow and composed of a series of concentric rotating rings each with their own magnetic poles. I really like the graphic quality of the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment